Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Yoga Industry

I have been practicing yoga for over a decade now, and have become a devout of Bikram Yoga practitioner in the past couple of years.  For me Bikram Yoga is the only state where I am alone with myself and need nothing else.

The thing I learned today about yoga was that it was originally designed only for men, and how women has turned it into a multi-million dollar industry by bringing it into our over-stressed western lives.  As a matter of fact, Bikram Choudhury (the creator of Bikram Yoga) has been accused of being McYoga of yogaworld because of his chain studios with strict rules.  The documentary Yogawoman tells the story of how more and more women benefit from this practice in many ways while showcasing the industrialization of yoga.


Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment