Saturday, September 1, 2012

* I Am A Tintype

I visited PhotoBooth in San Francisco today and had a Tintype portrait of myself made.  What's so very special about this place is that they are the first photography studio dedicated to Tintype portraiture, and all types of hand-crafted photography.  

Michael, the Tintype photography expert, sits you down, chats with you a bit, and quickly figures out how he will have you pose.  He then moves a headrest behind you so that you stay still for the picture since you have only one shot with Tintypes.  I had looked at his photography before, and my only question to him was why almost in none of the his pictures people smile.  He said he did not want the fake, stressed smile on people's faces.  That made me better understand the solemn and sincere faces in his photos, and made me appreciate his work more.

The picture taking part took just a few minutes with the posing, and light measurements.  I had my picture in my hands within the next twenty minutes, and I was caught off-guard to see a mirror image of my un-smiling face in shades of silver unlike any other picture of mine.  It is so unique, it took a while for it to grow on me.

I love it....




No comments:

Post a Comment