Sunday, September 2, 2012

* A Lighthouse Docent's Love Story

Today, hoping to learn the history of the place I am staying, I participated in a tour of the Pigeon Point Light Station given by the Lighthouse Docent Christopher O'Donnell.  This charming seaman is originally from Sydney, and has the engaging deep blue eyes that compete in brightness with the lighthouse he is in love with.


I first saw him when I walked into the structure where the Fog Horn used to be.  He was talking about the beautiful glass object that stood in the middle of the building.  He kept explaining the centerpiece - The Fresnel Lens - to a group of young men surrounding him as he locked eyes with me and flashed the most enticing smile only men in captain's hats are capable of.  Without skipping a beat in his speech, he made sure everyone in the earshot distance understood to not pronounce the letter 's' in Fresnel for it is a French word.  


The more he revealed the intricate details about the anatomy of the lens and the history behind it, the more he sounded like the young man he possibly used to be talking about the woman he adored.  After he finished his speech to the young fellows around him, he walked towards me and thanked me for the smile I had on my face for he could tell I was truly listening.  I could not help but follow him outside, and watched him make the light station come alive in his dignified yet humorous Aussie accent.

Yes, I learned quite a bit about lighthouses, and Fresnel Lens today, but I also learned that this man is here only because he is still in love with this place, and is still hopeful that one day this light station will be restored back to its glory as he remembers it.  I will be rooting for his wish to come true...



No comments:

Post a Comment