Monday, September 3, 2012

* Alice On The Enchanted Hill

Oh what a day I had today!  I left my vacation spot - The Pigeon Point Light Station Hostel - early in the morning, and started a truly magical drive on PCH towards my home in L.A.  




At first, I was a little disappointed for it was very foggy, and I did not get to see most of the beautiful views from the cliffs down while passing through the winding roads, but even the little I have seen was heart wrenchingly beautiful.  Every turn brought a new vista that made you long for what alluring view was coming around the next curve.



I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole.  After driving for about 4 hours, I arrived at La Cuesta Encantada as named by William Randolph Hearst.  If you do not know who Hearst is, just stop reading this right now, go to the nearest newstand on your street (and I mean the country you are in as well) and pick up one of the most known magazines (popular mechanics, cosmopolitan, elle, good housekeeping,  esquire, town & country, etc.) and look at the thin side of the cover.  Ok, now you know who Hearst is.  So, what do you do if you are a man like Hearst with a land far above the clouds inherited from family, a whole lot of money, and a passion for European art?  




Well of course you build yourself a castle:



Shop from European auction catalogues for hand carved ceilings for your dining room where you will be sharing a bite with Churchill:



Have your architect design intricate passageways to the room where you will play pool with Charlie Chaplin while listening to one of the radio stations you own:


Build a pool in shades of Mediterranean Blue where your Hollywood guests will weather the California sun:


Decorate your garden with European statues:


Create magical corners by guest houses:


 Tend to the backyard where your exotic animals will roam:


And relax in your Roman Bath at the end of a long, tiring day:


I truly admire this man, and how he realized his dreams for himself, his family, his friends, and the public.  After all, he is the one who said "A dream is not a dream unless it's shared!"

No comments:

Post a Comment