Saturday, August 11, 2012

* I Am Therefore I Run

Today is one of those rare days that I learned once again that my personal limitations are as wide as I allow them to be.

I ran my first 5K today exactly 77 days after the first time I put on running shoes, and much like this blog, I hadn't much idea where or how far those running shoes would take me.



Almost all of my practicing was done on a treadmill where everything was controlled.  The best 5K time I've achieved on the treadmill was 42 mins. 35 secs.  Expecting the real terrain to be more difficult to navigate, my goal was to finish the race regardless of how long it would take me.  When I arrived at the 5K site this morning and started talking to seasoned runners, one person who claimed to run a 5K every weekend asked me 'why I did not choose a flat 5K for my first run'.  I heard myself say "I'm here for the challenge!", although I did not even think to look for a 'simpler' 5K when I did my google search.  The important thing for me then was to pick a race that was local, and one that would allow me enough time to feel prepared but not too far out that would lose its appeal.

Today I ran uphill, downhill, on grass, dirt, asphalt, walked a little to catch some breath here and there, passed little kids, and swallowed dust from senior runners whizzing pass by me.  I kept my inner conversation, and stride steady and did not sprint the last few yards, and to my big surprise, I completed the course in 38 mins and 06 seconds.





While preparing for this race, I learned that I had true supporters out there that applauded every one of my minuscule accomplishments, and fill me with more encouragement.  People who think about me before dawn on the day of the race and call me at 5:30am to wish me good luck! (Thank you my best friend CM.  I love you.)  (On that note, I was already awake and driving to the race track, and my car has Bluetooth so I was handsfree and safe.)

Another key is to have a good playlist that will provide the energy you need at the moments when you are ready to give up.  Here is one from mine that gave me the last push today:



And here's the other song that kept my feet moving:



In the past few years leading up to today's small victory, I have learned to make little promises to myself and most importantly learned to keep those promises.  If I fail to keep my promises to myself then I will be allowing others to not keep their promises to me and be ok with that.  I cannot change how others choose to live their lives but I have full control of what happens to me.

Now I have a dirty pair of running shoes, achy muscles, and a content heart filled with new promises to myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment